Wednesday 16 September 2020

What Now! at Shantytown

 What Now! at Shantytown


I woke up to my Mum shaking me at 10 to 6 in the morning. I then remembered why. It was Sunday and I was lucky enough to go on the What Now! show  with Room 7 and 8. We picked up Charlie on the way to Shantytown. When we arrived at Shantytown we met at the post office. It was really funny because there are these mannequins there. I looked at the mannequin and had a huge fright because I thought it was a real man. I screamed and then realized it was just a mannequin. We had about a half an hour to wait until we were told what to do next. 


Finally, Erin (  the presenter ) and her crew came in. There was Morgan (the director), Matt ( The cameraman) and another Matt who was the props and other things guy. They told us that we were going to go on the train, Erin was going to yell out hello and we would file out after her. We rehearsed once and then the man shouted out, “10 seconds” to us and ten seconds later we were live. I was so excited, I thought I would burst. The next time we went on live we all had to go behind Erin. After that, she asked a few people ( including me ) a question each. My question was what do you like about the bike tracks? I said that they were really fun to do. I was so nervous then because I knew heaps of people would be watching me.  Lily had a birthday shout out and we all sang happy birthday to her.


When we finished that part of the show, we walked to the place where we were going to play: Say it don’t spray it! We went to the Shantytown fire station. Five people were chosen. They had to say a tongue twister without messing up otherwise they were sprayed. Emma passed the first round, same with Mea but Jordyn messed up and was sprayed. A lot of foam came out of the machine and it was hilarious to watch. Lucy also messed up and it was the same with Zade. They all were foamed and then it was down to Emma and Mea. Erin told them to say the tongue twister twice through. Emma went first and only messed up on one word, Mea however messed up on three or four in a row so Emma one. 


Mea was foamed and then Erin said to Emma “ How do you feel that you’ve won?” Emma said “ Amazing!!!” Erin then said “ And how do you feel about getting foamed on live tv?” It took Emma a moment to realize what Erin meant. She screamed and yelled “ NO!” and ran off onto our audience made up of the two classes. Erin said “ You can’t get the prize if you don’t get foamed” so Emma wss sprayed. She was obviously panicking because she opened and closed her mouth like a goldfish.


We then pretended we were going to watch a movie. We lined up and started walking in. Erin had to think of an invention in thirty seconds because one of the men told her just before we went back on air. She thought of a shoe tying machine which I thought was awesome and she thought of that so quickly. Morgan was doing a hand signal to try and make us hurry up so everyone could get in but the people at the front were too slow. A minute later we were back on air and walking out of the theatre. We had to act as though the movie was terrible but I almost erupted into giggles when I was trying to act mad. 


After the movie scene we went to the gold panning area and pretended to go gold panning. Jack actually found some. The next scene was called “ Target Your Teacher!”. I really enjoyed this one. Some people were selected to throw the ball at the target if Ms Newton answered the question wrong. She answered the first three right and then the last one wrong. Karmi missed the target but Ilish hit it after and gunge poured out. Ms Newton's goggles even fell off from the force. There was so much in the bucket. The blue is all slime!


The final scene was when we all were gunged. I had so much fun getting gunged! I was cold after though.  I want to say a huge thank you to the What Now crew for making this day awesome. It was such a cool experience that I will never forget!

2 comments:

  1. It was a fantastic day and I loved reading your recount of it. It's very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this Indi - some of the sentences were particularly good (for example, “I was so excited I thought I would burst”) at giving the reader an awesome idea of what it was like at the time and how you were feeling. Great article 👍

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.